Sunday, July 25, 2010

July 25th - No more dreaming.

I'm running my fingertips over the blades of grass as I lie in the backyard. Eyes closed, the sun warm on my face. You're sitting nearby, fiddling with a piece of rope.
"Strong enough?" you ask, as I sit up and you hand it to me.
I wind it around in my hands, pulling at it, picking at loose threads while you curl into a ball and watch.
"Maybe. Couldn't hurt to try." I drop the rope on the lawn. You're shaking your hair into your eyes again. I start to lean towards you, to brush it out, but you tumble backwards. You crawl across the grass towards the trees, and before I know what's happening, you're sitting in the branches again, pushing at the tyre swing with your bare toes.
"Don't wanna be here with me, do you?"
How can I even answer that question?
"I don't know, Sa-"
You're climbing higher into the branches now. I can hear you sniffling. Why are you so agile in here?
Why am I in here at all?
I start to run back towards the house. I trip and fall.
The jolt wakes me up.

No comments: